After Christmas Safety Tips

December 26, 2018

As Christmas clean up begins, Danville Life Saving Crew encourages the community to remember these safety tips to prevent home fires, choking and injuries.

 

  • Toss your fresh cut tree before it becomes a safety hazard. A live, fresh cut tree typically lasts about three weeks and should be tossed once it begins to turn brown and lose its needles. Once a tree dries out, it becomes a fire hazard due to nearby lights, candles, fireplaces and heat sources.

  • Keep small objects away from children and pets. Small decorations, tinsel and broken ornaments are choking hazards and should not be left on the floor. Keep these out of reach to prevent injuries.

  • Keep stocking stuffers away from pets. Chocolate candies and many human foods can be poisonous to dogs or cats and should be kept out of reach.

  • Recycle paper and  boxes if possible. Keep your home clean and help the environment by recycling boxes, plain wrapping paper and tissue paper. 

  • Never burn wrapping paper or other objects in the fireplace. This can create a serious fire hazard that could quickly engulf the room in flames.

 

If you live in the City of Danville and receive trash pick up, they will also take away your live, fresh cut Christmas tree. However, be sure to remove all lights and decorations before leaving your tree on the curb. Additionally, residents can take trees to the city's compost and mulch facility free of charge, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. The facility is located at 101 Airport Road. No artificial trees will be collected. 

 

If a fire or medical emergency occurs, dial 911 immediately so that fire or EMS can be dispatched.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Recent Posts

February 18, 2019

Please reload

Archive
Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square

© 2019 by dlsc.org